Chargers playing team sports ACHIEVE by competing at high levels and learning valuable teamwork. Team sports also support our mission of COLLEGE AND CAREER READINESS IS NOT A DREAM, IT'S A PLAN by giving team players valuable tools in cooperation and cooperation. Student Athlethes learn practice, preparation, and perseverance - valuble skills needed for success in college and career. Consider the following:
10 Benefits of Playing Sports
(By Teresa McEntire of Parenting Magazine, http://parenting.families.com/blog/10-benefits-of-playing-sports)
1. Playing sports is fun. It gives your child something to do and a group to belong to. They have a group of friends that has the same goals and interests.
2. Research has found that kids who play sports, especially girls, are more likely to have a positive body image and higher self-esteem. They also are less likely to be overweight.
3. Kids involved in sports are less likely to take drugs or smoke because they realize the impact that these destructive activities can have upon their performance. Girls who play sports are also less likely to become pregnant.
4. Physical activities are a good way to relieve stress and reduce depression.
5. Sports help kids develop discipline. They learn to set goals and then work to achieve those goals. They learn that by working hard they can accomplish the things that they want to in their lives.
6. Kids who play sports quickly learn that sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. They learn to be a good sport in both situations. It also helps them learn to deal with disappointment and go on.
7. Statistics show that kids who are involved in sports while in high school are more likely to experience academic success and graduate from high school.
8. Sports help develop teamwork and leadership skills. Kids quickly learn that they have to work together as a team to win the game.
9. Motor skills, strategic thinking, and even math skills are learned by playing sports. Students develop strategic thinking as they figure out plays and the best way to get around a player or score a goal. Math skills are used as they calculate scores and stats.
10. Regular exercise increases quality of life. Children who exercise are more likely to continue the practice into adulthood.
Whatever way you look at it sports benefits your child.
For more information concerning Memorial's Team Sports,